But, here’s the thing: I was a chef for 13 years. If it don’t taste good, I don’t want no part of it! I’m a lot like your kids that way. Which is why this is a great option for kids who struggle with eating in the stimulants. Believe me, I’ve been there. My parents forced me to drink those Ensure brand shakes out of a can. Their awfulness still turns my stomach 25 years later. Bottom line, it didn’t take a lot of supplementing as long as we worked my eating schedule around the meds. But, if I had had access to this tasty treat, I would have enjoyed a daily smoothie without complaint… maybe.
Matt’s World’s Yummiest Protein Shake
- 8 oz skim milk
- 1 sm squeeze real chocolate syrup*
- 1 heaping scoop Vanilla flavored Whey Protein powder**
- 1/2 a banana, fresh or frozen***
- 10-15 Blueberries, depending on size, fresh or frozen***
- 2-3 Strawberries, quartered, fresh or frozen***
- Start by measuring the milk in the caraffe of the blender.
- Add everything else and blend**** until smooth.
- It should fit in a Pt. glass with 1/2 a banana… though I like a whole one…
*I like Alaskah organic that I get at Whole Foods. Good flavor, consistency, ingredients.
**I like the Whole Foods 365 brand. Dissolves well, subtle vanilla flavor, and you can’t beat the price.
***I buy fresh berries when they are on sale, freeze then on a flat tray, then pack them in ziplocks. They last forever that way. You can buy them frozen too. As for bananas, I just peel and freeze those that are about to go bad… but not quite and use them for shakes or banana bread. I do use them fresh, but actually prefer the consistency of the shake when the banana is frozen. Use whatever in season fruit you like. I did lots of peaches this summer.
****Don’t think you need a $500 Vita Prep to make a shake. That’s one of the biggest scams going. I have a retro model Waring 2 speed with a class caraffe that will always do my bidding and is silly easy to clean. (They run about $100) I’m sure you could do even better if making a shake is your only criterion.