ADHD, when examined through a particular lens can be said to be a disorder of under-stimulation. As ADHDers we often wander around the world seeking stimulation. Unfortunately, stimulation can be found in many places that are unhealthy. I think it is particularly important to be aware of this tendency and to teach our kids to be aware of it as they grow in to teens and adults.
I divide stimulation seeking behaviors in to two catagories;
1. Things that we do not need to do and can effectively manage by not having in our lives at all.
- Video Games
2. Thing that we have to do in our lives but need to learn how to do in moderation:
- Sex (In all forms including porn.)
- Being online/ Using electronic devices
- Interpersonal relationships
All of these things occupy a place in our lives that is necessary and important. But they can all become problems if they are not managed in appropriate ways.